Wednesday, September 03, 2008



Today was the very first day of preschool.  The whole thing was a little disjointed since we didn't know the ins and outs of how this all worked.  But it seemed to go smoothly enough.  Laurel sensed from the beginning that this was different than orientation, and she was a little testy this morning.  By the time we pulled onto the street that the church is on she already started telling us she didn't want to go to school.  In the parking lot she started crying.  I picked her up at that point and used a big voice and told her to stop.  (This was dangerous on my part because it would either make her stop, or turn crying into bawling and wailing)  We lucked out because she stopped at that point.  I carried her in and down the stairs.  When we got to the classroom I put her down.  We walked in, hung up her bag and showed daddy the play kitchen.  Around that time her teacher asked her to go with her to look at something, and she did.  Then her teacher asked her if she wanted to sit and do a puzzle, again she agreed.  At that point daddy and mommy gave her a quick kiss and made a run for the door.  Apparently she never cried or anything.  There was a small issue with her not being able to climb onto the big potty...I guess that's my fault for not anticipating that.  I assumed a preschool would have the preschool sized potties to use.  Not so.  So we'll need to work on that.

2 comments:

grandma and grandpa said...

Megan and Jon,
What a little sweetheart!Believe me I have been through this on the other side a thousand times.If Laurel says she misses you let her take something small of yours to keep in her pocket.I'm glad she went with her teacher.Also let her bring in one of her books for the teacher to read that might go along with something they are doing or even the preschool book we sent her.That will give Laurel something to look forward too.I'm also surprised about the potty! Do they have a little stool she can step on to reach the potty?

Laurel,
Today is Friday and you and Jessie are both in school today. I bet you're having a great time playing in the kitchen.Did you listen to a good story today? We love you Laurel. Guess what, we will see you and Luke the end of September!
Love, Grandma and Grandpa
We bet you're having a great time playing in the kitchen at school!

Corey said...

LAUREL!! Are you going to dance with me this weekend???